8 February 2015

Dropping the Torch

... please don't hate me...

I feel that I can't go on any more. Without Umi's light, this wretched Gensokyo Island is like a deep, dark pit, a black hole which drains away all thoughts of happiness and hope. When I first arrived here, terrified and trembling, it was she who provided my inspiration and confidence - not through her words to me but through her deeds, conducting herself in an optimistic yet dignified manner. 

And now... my pillar of light is gone. Sympathy, aspiration ... all those things mean nothing to me now, trapped in this distant, forsaken, demon-infested hellhole. Least of all, that blood-sucking gadfly, Yuzu, who hovers about me with a persistence unknown even among the more horrid denizens of Gensokyo Island. "For your own good", she says, "Listen to me because I'm still your senior by several months", she says. And I'd listen, too, if she wasn't an outright sociopath!

My grim reality is only further darkened by the arrival of two more prospective travellers at the docks, here to steal away yet more of what little remains of our rations, living space, and toilet time, with the knowledge of two more yet to come tomorrow. At this rate, we'll have to make a deal over beach-combing, dump-raiding, and other scavenging spots next.

Because I wanted to make a change from using those album photographs. Also, Mushihiko looks just like Wriggle apart from the eyes.

Minosuke, son of Okuu and Kourin, and Mushihiko, son of Kyouko and Wriggle, were sent off to be travellers today by the dictatorial command of Okuu's Look-alike, as I'm absolutely certain their parents didn't have the slightest say in the matter at all. Tomorrow, Yuuko, daughter of Yuyuko and Maxie, and Almaz, son of Konata and Ramza, are pretty much certain to join them too, as Okuu's Look-alike has signalled at much. Four more travellers competing for what little resources there are allocated to the port... it's a wonder no one's died of starvation or exposure yet.

The irresponsible behaviour of Okuu's Look-alike continued today as she again approved new attempts by the residents of Gensokyo Island to procreate. I know Umi always sang something about letting love find its course, but well, as pretty much any beleaguered teenage parent knows, pregnancy is a rather nasty side effect. I'm happy she never had to worry, though, since the stage she set up and the vegetables she received every day were more than enough to keep her going. I'll always treasure ... this slug she picked off that mouldy lettuce to give to me...

I guess we're going to see a bumper crop of blondes in the near future... hair colour's important when choosing a name!

Two couples who have yet to have one of their children invited to live on Gensokyo Island today announced their plans for another child. Well, more accurately it's the very first child of Shanghai Margatroid and Kanako Yasaka, but it will be the third for Margit Ravelli and Archibald Aqua. All the same, I'm pretty sure that Okuu's Look-alike won't be interested in inviting either of those children to stay, again due to a supposed 'lack of ideas' or another dumb excuse like 'too blonde'. Heck, the pigment's drained out of my hair from all the suffering I've endured on this stupid island, maybe that's why I have such rotten luck.

I wonder if Umi's all right ... I can't stop thinking about her. Every bone in my body... no, every fibre of my being trembles in fear wondering how she'll end up. I dug up the files from Gensokyo Island's immigration office to try to calm my fears, that she'll be okay... Yuzu says she'll be fine, but I can't relax until I've convinced myself of it, and I don't trust that creep one bit anyhow. 

 The statistics from Gotchi Island from Yuzu's arrival and Umi's departure. No problems have been solved at all, but travellers seem to be processed...

Umi... no, I know now. Umi-senpai. That's what you always wanted us to call you, but I could never summon the courage. If only you could notice me now! Is there a God in this world? And I don't mean wannabes like Kanako Yasaka and Suwako Moriya, I mean someone, some being possessed of a goodness of heart who can and will actually help a poor soul like me?

Take me, oh greater being! All I want is to leave this place, to renew my search for my lost love Umi once more, for my life is meaningless should I remain. Will no one deliver me from this irksome place?

... wait, what's that in the distance? Is there really a God after all? A cargo boat? Take me, take me, o long awaited savior! I place my life into your hands!

I'd be a little wary of those guys if I were you, Hito, but... I'm glad I'm not. Rest in psychopaths, dear friend.

What?! Did he... did he really jump? Hito, you idiot! Would you trust outright some maniac who directly advertises himself as a psychopath? You... I can't believe this! You've made me worried, you idiot! That's why a moron like you shouldn't have any free will! If you had any common sense, you'd ...

Ah... stupid, stupid Yuzu... am I really crying? Somehow, being the best, the smartest, the most cynical... doesn't mean anything anymore if there's no one else to compare with, if there's no one else to boast to about it, if there's no one to snark about... Hito you damned moron, how could you leave just like that? You've... you've disappointed m...

No, I've disappointed myself. I can't believe, I can't accept that I'm upset over something like this. And there I drew up this report, ready to make some witty comments about our boss Aya Shameimaru while Hito would pore over it... it's hard to believe that those times are over now. Death is sudden, isn't it? Heh heh...

That's right, Hito, you're dead. And it's all your fault that I killed you, yes. I killed you in my mind. You're dead to me... *sniff* ... you died when you left without telling me. And I'm so happy that I've finally delivered the ultimate insult to you... *sniff* ... see, I warned you, but you never listened.

Haha, I'm not in denial, nope, I'm so happy that you finally got your just desserts for your naïvete, and I... ahaha... I'm finally being punished for never once being nice to you. It feels so good... heh...

Ahaha... is that... I'm not hallucinating, am I? I certainly wish I could say I was, but... I'm not. I don't understand this at all, but reality has finally beckoned to me from without this nebulous dreamworld I've inhabited for a month. Yuzu, empty your mind, forget everyone... the idiots on this island, Okuu's Look-alike, Umi-senpai, Hito... ah... I'm entering a fugue state...

Aha... ahaha... ahahahahaha!!!! Swallow me up too, you god-damned world!

And there goes the last of our original point-of-view characters. Rest in pessimism, Yuzu, you will be missed.

Whoa, man! That was quite a ride, but I'm finally on solid ground again! 

Wow, this place is popular, just look at all those people at the port! And it must be a pretty fun place too. Did you see how that wacko girl with the orange hair was laughing her eyes out? Man oh man! Is there some kind of convention going on here? An anime festival? Comiket??? Gensokyo Island?!

Oh, what's this book the girl dropped? Something about... Aya Shameimaru...?! That Aya Shameimaru?! Oh my god oh my god, I have to find out about this right now! Gensokyo Island, look out! Kiba is here!

BUNBUNMARU UPDATES, 8th February 2015

Traveller Updates 
A boat from Psychopath Island arrived! Hito of Hawai Island departed.
A boat from Naga Island arrived! Kiba of Maasa Island alighted, Yuzu of Ninten Island departed.

Children
Minosuke, son of Utsuho Reiuji and Rinnosuke Morichika, grew up. He was made to leave Gensokyo Island and become a traveller!
Mushihiko, son of Kyouko Kasodani and Wriggle Nightbug, grew up. He was made to leave Gensokyo Island and become a traveller!
Shanghai Margatroid announced that she was pregnant with her and Kanako Yasaka's first child!
Margit Ravelli announced that she was pregnant with her and Archibald Aqua's third child!

Gensokyo Gourmands
Suwako Moriya tried a Brownie today. It's her All-Time Favourite food! 

No comments:

Post a Comment