11 February 2015

Eve'n'tide

Hello, Kiba here again with the daily updates... ugh, I should change that line. It makes me feel like a newscaster... maybe I am actually a newscaster. That's such a disturbing thought... 

I'd much rather be cooped up in a nice warm room, wrapped in a blanket, playing an online game and reading the latest manga. Wouldn't you? I'm okay with people but... it really isn't my thing. Thankfully it's been a slow news day, so after I'm done with this I can go hang out with some more fun-loving look-alikes of game and anime characters and just chill out and enjoy myself. Sure, it might be like being locked in Disneyland all alone, but it's still Disneyland, right?

Ahem, anyway... today Gensokyo Island welcomed another addition to its ever-expanding population. Please meet... Yves Arlert-Mihama.


The hardest part of all of this was figuring out how most people would pronounce "Yves".

Sure, it doesn't quite roll off the tongue like that Saint-Laurent fellow, but at least most of the world might be able to pronounce it right. He really looks an awful lot like his grandmother, Chiyo Mihama, though... ugh, that came out weird, considering that Chiyo-chan is hardly a teenager. Cough. But anyway, I present to you Gensokyo Island's first child who's a grandchild of four of its islanders, and its second third-generation islander. That sounded weird, too.

Okuu's Look-alike was seen in a state of ecstacy... albeit while in the middle of the process of beating her face against the wall. "Why'd it have to be yet another Confident Designer ... @#$%^& expletive deleted it all!" It would seem she was very eager to shepherd the newborn child into yet another empty apartment, a rarely seen consistent show of generosity according to the other islanders, except that the only obstacle was the nature of the child's personality. 

It's like the kid has stats you can read right off his face or something. Do you see any over there? And why did you ask for the kid to be named after a famous designer anyway? You were just asking for it, miss dictator person!

 Yuuka provides an approximation of Okuu's Look-alike's reaction to another Confident Designer.

Nevertheless, Okuu's Look-alike was undaunted, and after a few short moments of retreating into her office to consider a solution, emerged with a new proclamation to be made known to all residents of Gensokyo Island.

"ALL CHILDREN BORN WITH THE ASSIGNED PERSONALITY OF 'CONFIDENT DESIGNER' ARE NOW HEREBY DUBBED AS 'DESIGNER BABIES' AND ARE CERTIFIED FOR TREATMENT WITH PERSONALITY-MODIFYING DRUGS AT THEIR PARENTS' EXPENSE."

Most residents who saw this proclamation mostly nodded and moved along, and Reimu Hakurei, Baldren Gassenarl and Kikuchiyo Kanbei took note of the proclamation, being Confident Designers themselves, but did not see a need to be concerned since they were not classified as children who were born in any case. 

On the other hand, Koyomi Saigyouji was last seen cowering in a corner of her room, claiming to experience hallucinations of being ambushed by a mad-eyed white-haired bespectacled scientist carrying a giant syringe. Overlord Mao denied any involvement in her case and assured her that she was safe... for now. In contrast, Aya Shameimaru and her husband Shou Toramaru were seen kicking up a fuss about the, um, psychological experimentation which had been performed on their son Hoshi Toramaru despite not actually being a Confident Designer, and Overlord Mao replied noting how the removal of one's frontal lobe can turn even a demon-spawned child into a sunny optimist. How... non-sequitur.

Speaking of which... my temporary boss Aya Shameimaru seems to have run off somewhere. She was here sorting out her latest edition of Bunbunmaru News just a moment ago... where did she go? Eh? There's a hastily-scribbled note here... "Get over to my house at Mii Homes sharpish! Bring your camera and notepad!"

WOW!!! Aya and Shou's first child? I thought the sea had claimed her, and yet she lives!

Wow. That's a pleasant surprise! Look, Aya and Shou are practically beaming with joy! I'm not surprised about that, that kid with them is actually their first child, Shouko, who as I'm told was actually one of the first few travellers sent off from Gensokyo Island, over two months ago. Even though she's only visited one island in the time that she's been away, it's hard to deny that Shouko and her parents really have a lot to be proud of. As all of us travellers know, just surviving till the next day is quite the achivement in itself.

Curiously, Shouko brought back a rather interesting keepsake from the one island which she visited. Some unusual cuisine... it's a Crab Cake? What the heck is that? As long as it's not anything like that weird fish poop which Okuu's Look-alike insisted that I eat... I mean it was just barely edible, with the odour of wet coins and the texture of wrinkled paper. Okuu's Look-alike was so glad to receive those Crab Cakes that she locked them up in a display stand placed in front of her office for all who walked by to observe how long those weird foreign delicacies could be preserved. Weirdo.

One for the collectors, a food item that isn't that weird-ass 'Exotic Cuisine' thingy. A banana leaf, a lime, and piles of gross mush, ugh, no thanks.

Speaking of which, I was so caught up with running around the apartment building and Mii Homes conducting interviews and taking pictures that I didn't even notice a boat had pulled up at the docks today. It's been three days since I arrived and I didn't notice any activity, so I just assumed things were just as slow as they were on the island where I used to camp.

What's that, Shouko? You say that your chartered speedboat passed by a larger cargo boat on the way here? And you think that boat's heading here? How long ago was that ... ugh, I know much less about math than I do about manga, so... I'll just do as the hero of a shounen series would do and just head right to where the action is! It's most definitely not my turn to depart yet, but maybe I can catch a glimpse of it!

... Pant ... Whew ... pant ... I can just about see the port from here, and there is indeed a ship there! Not only that, but there's someone who doesn't look like a robotic blockhead on the deck with the crew! Is that another traveller? Is that...

A girl???

This was certainly unexpected. And here I was just on the verge of taking some drastic measures. Not like I won't have to take them anyway.

Oh my Kanako and Suwako. It's like the gods were listening to me or something. Here I was moaning about how I was feeling lonely being the only foreign traveller on this island, being stuck behind the longest queue of emigrants I've ever seen, and then all of a sudden there's someone else here with me! 

And... and it's a girl. I mean, I don't know if we're, you know... compatible and stuff, and she looks kinda boyish with that haircut, but... ah, that's not really important ... I'm feeling a little hot under the collar. This is gonna be awkward, hanging out with... a girl... for the longest time. I mean... it's ... y'know, I used to think I knew some stuff after playing all those visual novels and H... I mean dating sims, but then I read The World God Only Knows, and it's really nothing like that at all in real life. Uhhh...

Suddenly I don't feel so secure in my own personal Disneyland any more. I think I need some help. Professional help. And I know just the professional for the job.

"Hey, Aya... I mean Miss Shameimaru!!! I've got a great idea for a hot new headline, but I'm gonna need someone with your expert capabilities to help me out! You see, there's this person who's just arrived at the docks, and..."

Bam! Compromising photo get! Time for blackmail!

... oh. So that's where she was hiding when she got that photo of me. I'm just glad she didn't get that photograph of my body pillow...

BUNBUNMARU UPDATES, 11th February 2015

Traveller Updates
Shouko returned from Orianna Island to visit her parents Aya Shameimaru and Shou Toramaru! She has visited 1 island so far.
A boat from Dubu Island arrived! Toritori of Shadai Island alighted, Alexandre departed. 
 
Relationships and Marriage
Hinoko Gassenarl and Tia Arlert are no longer best friends!
Kyouko Kasodani and Baldren Gassenarl are no longer best friends!
Desco Kazamatsuri and Hinoko Gassenarl became best friends!
Baldren Gassenarl and Kikuchiyo Kanbei became best friends!

Children
Yves was born to Tia Arlert and Tadakichi Mihama. It's their first child! He is a Confident Designer.

Gensokyo Gourmands
Yuuka Kazami tried some Watermelon today. She thought it was the Worst!

No comments:

Post a Comment