2 May 2015

Love's Labour's Won

Hey, Kiba. Playing your online games again? It's kinda quiet around Gensokyo Island today, isn't it...

... whoaaa!!! Pause... mute... save... Toritori, you're here? Not down at the docks waiting?

I got a note from Okuu's Look-alike a couple of days ago saying that there wouldn't be any boats coming in this weekend, so I decided to give it a break. Besides, I figured you were missing me already. Weren't you?

... you said not to worry about it. So I didn't.

Ah, that's... true. Ahem. So... how's the Bunbunmaru Updates coming along, y'know, without me...? Is all the routine stuff still going well? I can't imagine how you'd handle it, with your aversion to babies and all...

It's not hard, really. I send the new recruits off to actually gather the information, and I compile it and sort it out nicely on my laptop. Like this, for instance.

 A pair of kids with weird grins thanks to their crazy dads. Lilith has her dad Laharl's hair antennae, while Sasha has got the most inscrutable grin.

So Shinmyoumaru Sukuna and Overlord Laharl had their fourth child and first daughter, Lilith, while Margit Ravelli and Archibald Aqua's fifth child is a girl named Sasha. Well, they certainly look pretty typical for Gensokyo Island residents' offspring, which is to say beset with crazy grins and an erratic personality.

Ah, so everything's par for the course then. Not that I'd expect anything to change simply because I'm next in line to jump ship off this island for good. I trust Okuu's Look-alike has been continuing with that pro-procreation policy, even despite the nature of recent events?

Ah... on that Toritori, you might like to pull that chair over and have a look at this. Because I highly suspect that you won't be getting many more opportunities to actually use a chair for much longer here on Gensokyo Island...

Only Sycamore didn't get a chance to say his silly 'worried' catchphrase for the screenshot. All the same, it's babies ahoy.

... so I guess us travellers can expect another tidal wave of babyflesh in the near future. At least it's reassuring how well Gensokyo Island's residents are getting along with their significant others to be willing to crank out yet another little one to sacrifice to Okuu's Look-alike for the greater good.

You don't say. It's pretty much a routine at this point. It's no surprise, what with all those rumours about the 'crazy' second generation islanders, that anything resembling normal familial relations has long since melted away. Everyone's aware that they're just cogs in a machine, just tiny parts of a long assembly line, and are fulfilling those roles while trying to enjoy as much of their lives as they can.

I can only hope my parents never thought the same way about me. After all, aren't children supposed to be the fruits of their parents' labours of love?

Well, yes, but once they've grown up they're basically independent beings, aren't they? And that means not only giving them the freedom to live and die, but the freedom to rebel and mess things up in the way their parents can't or don't expect.

 You know you're family's screwed up when your mom doesn't even know if you're her kid. (Think about it.)

So, Kiba, I thought I knew you but now I'm confused. Is it grown-up children who you're angry about, or babies? Or do you just hate everyone... okay, okay, don't give me that face! I know when I've hit on the truth but you just don't want to talk about it.

It's fine.... really. I'm glad to have some understudies backing me up now so I need to deal with these freaks less directly, and Rebecca and that rich boy catch on fast. That kid Eugen... I mean Yugen, he doesn't really understand what a 'commoner' life is all about, but he thinks a lot and he's a natural with that camera. And Rebecca... she's a strange one. I'd never send her to conduct an interview with her weird accent, but her ability to pop up in unexpected places for the best snapshots have made Aya Shameimaru proud. Like that 007 guy, or something like that.

I see... so since they're off gathering information for you, you can finally put down that arduous task of meeting others in real life and go back to your computer games and your anime.

I know you're judging me, Toritori, but that's absolutely right. And I'm not afraid to admit it in the slightest. Things like friends, teamwork, relationships, love, whatever, have never worked out for me, and I honestly can't be bothered to try. So I'm fine with things being this way.

And that's the reason why you didn't put your name in to be next in line to leave Gensokyo Island, even thought I reminded you? Some other kid's taken that spot that could have been yours, you know.

... better the devil I know, than the devil I don't.

If you keep thinking that way, your circumstances will never change, even as the rest of the world changes around you. Have you ever thought about that? That's how I got to terms with the fact that it's time to move on. To leave y... to leave Gensokyo Island behind.

...

So, Kiba, where is everyone, anyway? It's so quiet around here, it's like the islanders have ran off somewhere or something.

... they're having a party.

What party?

Aw... thanks, guys. I'm really chuffed. My birthday wish is, well, for all of you to get along as well with each other as you get along with me.

Utsuho Reiuji... Okuu's birthday? And so coincidentally, it's also Okuu's Look-alike's birthday? I mean, even if they look the same, and they really don't, to be honest, who'd have thought they'd have the same birthday? Or am I putting the chicken before the egg... er, cart before the horse? 

... yeah, whatever. It's not my island, they're not my friends, Aya Shameimaru really isn't supposed to be my boss and Okuu's Look-alike isn't my lord and master. It's just another happening to me.

And that's why you're so alone, Kiba. You shut yourself off in this office, far away from everyone, from the islanders, the new rescruits, and m... many others! And all you do is live in this fantasy online world of yours. Is this really what you want?

...

I mean, just look at Okuu's Look-alike! Even someone so beastly in thought and manner has been able to build up these valuable connections, purely through experience. You have to go out there! Don't bottle it up! Don't shut yourself off!

... just hurry up and go.

What?

... just hurry up and move on to the next island already. I don't need someone like you telling me how to live my life.

But I only...

I said what I said! Now if you aren't going to contribute anything to Bunbunmaru Updates, you can just move on back to the port and wait for that better life you keep talking about!

.... I ... d... dammit, you idiot! Goodbye then!

...

... she's really gone. Good. That was the only way I could cope. I can't accept it. I can't accept losing anyone. That's why I should never have gotten close in the first place.

... damn it all.


BUNBUNMARU UPDATES, 30th April 2015

Traveller Updates
Yuuko, daughter of Yuyuko Saigyouji and Maximillian Magma, wrote back from Streetpass Relay Point Island! She has visited 1 island so far.

Children
Kyusuke, son of Utsuho Reiuji and Rinnosuke Morichika, grew up. He was made to leave Gensokyo Island and become a traveller!
Lilith was born to Shinmyoumaru Sukuna and Overlord Laharl. It's their fourth child! She is a Confident Brainiac.
Sasha was born to Margit Ravelli and Archibald Aqua. It's their fifth child! She is an Easygoing Dreamer.

Gensokyo Gourmands
Kaguya Houraisan tried some Rice today. She thought it was the Worst!


BUNBUNMARU UPDATES, 1st May 2015

Children
Overlord Mao announced that his wife Patchouli Knowledge was pregnant with their third child!
Almaz Beoulve announced that his wife Koyomi Saigyouji was pregnant with their first child!
Augustine Sycamore announced that his wife Yuuka Kazami was pregnant with their fourth child!
Junya Ohta announced that his wife Reimu Hakurei was pregnant with their ninth child!

No comments:

Post a Comment